wget-dev

wget2 | Further Enhancement of --download-attr (#529)

From: Walter Tautz
Subject: wget2 | Further Enhancement of --download-attr (#529)
Date: Tue, 26 May 2020 21:39:25 +0000

Walter Tautz created an issue: https://gitlab.com/gnuwget/wget2/-/issues/529

Hi Tim, Currently the --download-attr only obeys files download=FILENAME where
FILENAME is NOT a full path name.

EXAMPLE CASES:

If download="a/b/c/filename" in file Example.html then the directory a/b/c
should be created and the file
'filename' should be downloaded into the directory 'c'.

A stronger requirement would be allow for a leading character '/', where '/' is
the "root" associated to an OS, obviously
for my purposes. UNIX functionality would suffice.

Reasons for wanting this is to allow for one open network socket to be used
rather than multiple ones.
In particular, I have
had occasion to handcraft urls to a given site that immediately takes advantage
of "organising" the download
files according to a categorisation as specified by one of the directory
components. Admittedly there are clumsy
ways to get past this impediment by using the shell in clever ways, but I think
most of these impose the requirement
of having multiple sockets being opened and closed. It's ugly and inefficient,
or at least this is my perception.

Thoughts?

ps. Hope the extra contribution to your work here is helping with some nice
extra groceries? :-)

https://gitlab.com/gnuwget/wget2/-/issues/529