wget-dev

Re: [Wget-dev] wget option "bind-address" is not working for virtual int

From: Tim Rühsen
Subject: Re: [Wget-dev] wget option "bind-address" is not working for virtual interface (eth1.0)
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2019 11:34:35 +0200

On 4/1/19 3:05 PM, Babu Prasad wrote:
> Hi Team,
>                do we support bind-address option for virtual interface, ie
> I've assigned an IP address for my virtual interface ie eth1.0(10.0.0.2)
> and sending packet but when I dump packet wget showing my physical
> interface mac. do we have any options for virtual interface ?
>
> wget http://10.0.01 --bind-address=10.0.0.2 --no-proxy

Here, I don't have to use --bind-address. Because I have a routing entry
(listed by route -n). Tcpdump shows correctly my virtual MAC on outgoing
packets (ping and wget/wget2).

If I remove the routing entry, then the MAC of the default route appears
in the tcpdump output. --bind-address just sets the source ip address
for IP packets, it doesn't set the MAC or the interface.

Ping seems to find out the interface and explicitly sets it, so that the
(virtual) MAC is set 'correctly'. Not sure how this can be done in a
system independent way, but I'll have a look into the ping sources.

Regards, Tim