wget-dev

Re: [Wget-dev] wget2 | Question : How to build the manual of wget2 ? (#4

From: Tim Rühsen
Subject: Re: [Wget-dev] wget2 | Question : How to build the manual of wget2 ? (#429)
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2019 12:52:12 +0000

Please check your `./configure` output. If it doesn't find doxygen *and*
pandoc, a `make` won't enter `docs/`. You should see
```
  Documentation:      yes (found: Doxygen Pandoc)
```

Even if you see that, `docs/` will only be rebuild after a `make clean`
followed by `make` (or at the first `make`). The main reason is that we include
the built docs within the tarball. So a normal user (a non-developer) doesn't
need to install doxygen nor pandoc nor texinfo - and for this user a
`./configure && make` still works. Another reason is to reduce the build time
for developers who often do hundreds of `make` a day. If we always rebuild the
docs because one of the source files changed, that would be time wasting.

If you are working on changes to the docs as a 'developer' or contributor, you
need to clean the `docs/` (either `make` or `make -C docs clean`) followed by a
complete build `make -C docs`.

Yeah, let's document this in `README.md`...

@sebman But maybe you have a special use case in mind that we didn't consider.
In this case, just let us know, so we can comment or optimize our build.

https://gitlab.com/gnuwget/wget2/issues/429#note_159386979