wget-dev

[Wget-dev] Google Summer of Code

From: Mei Walker
Subject: [Wget-dev] Google Summer of Code
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2019 23:25:37 -0700

Hello!

My name is Mei, I'm currently an undergraduate student in the US studying
computer science. I've worked on a couple of small scale open source
projects in the past, but I've always wanted to contribute further to free
software (especially associated with GNU) but never found the time to; I
was so excited to find wget participating in summer of code, since it
seemed like such a great opportunity!

I generally use wget to grab local copies for web pages, but sometimes I've
been using curl because wget doesn't support SOCKS5 proxying (natively). I
was hoping I might be able to help implement native SOCKS5 proxy protocol
for wget, as per this issue: https://gitlab.com/gnuwget/wget2/issues/1

I am also very interested in implementing QUIC for wget. I've worked with
UDP protocols before when I was working on some torrent tracker software,
and being able to learn more about it compared to TCP implementations for
fetching web pages sounds amazing.

However, I have also seen the issue opened about last year's summer of
code. While I write C programs in my free time and a little bit during work
at my university's center for high performance computing, I do not consider
myself an advanced user. If touching the existing code base sounds like a
bad idea, I found implementing wget building/testing for Android
interesting as well.

My thoughts for timelines for any of these projects are rather fuzzy, and I
was hoping I would be able to chat about it with the wget devs a little bit
more. If that's at all possible, feel free to email back or highlight me on
IRC - I've been idling in #wget as meimeix.

Thank you so much for your time and consideration!
Mei