wget-dev

Re: [Wget-dev] wget2 | Follow XDG Base Directory Specification (!415)

From: Tim Rühsen
Subject: Re: [Wget-dev] wget2 | Follow XDG Base Directory Specification (!415)
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2019 17:59:47 +0000

Tim Rühsen commented on a discussion on docs/wget2.md:

> +will make no further attempts to read an initialization file.
> +
> +If, `--config` is not passed and `WGET2RC` is not set, Wget2 will attempt to
> +load the user's initialization file from a location as defined by the XDG
> Base
> +Directory Specification. It will read the first, and only the first file it
> +finds from the following locations:
> +
> +1. `$XDG_CONFIG_HOME/wget/wget2rc`
> +2. `$HOME/.config/wget/wget2rc`
> +3. `$HOME/.wget2rc`
> +
> +In the future, support for reading from `$HOME/.wget2rc` may be removed.
> +
> +The fact that the user's settings are loaded after the system-wide ones means
> +that in case of a collision, the user's wget2rc _overrides_ the global
> wget2rc.
> +Fascist admins away!

We had recently a discussion about this on the gnu-prog-disc ML. I didn't
follow all subthreads but kept it in mind. Better avoid such things when there
even is a slight chance of offending someone.

https://gitlab.com/gnuwget/wget2/merge_requests/415#note_142089174