wget-dev

Re: [Wget-dev] wget2 | no append .1 after extension please (#404)

From: Darshit Shah
Subject: Re: [Wget-dev] wget2 | no append .1 after extension please (#404)
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2018 15:42:30 +0000

You're right, I was slightly confused as to the intention of the issue. But if
I get this right, the issue is about what the default should be when
downloading a file when the same filename already exists locally? And I still
maintain that overwriting it is not the right approach. At least not by
default. The user may request that it be overwritten, and we should honour that.

About the use of brackets and whitespaces, I agree with you. Which is why I
think, on *nix systems, it should be, "filename.ext.1" and on Windows / VMS
systems it is "filename_1.ext"

https://gitlab.com/gnuwget/wget2/issues/404#note_108437892