wget-dev

Re: [Wget-dev] wget2 | Recursive downloads with HTTP/2 not uniformly div

From: Tim Rühsen
Subject: Re: [Wget-dev] wget2 | Recursive downloads with HTTP/2 not uniformly divided (#397)
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2018 15:13:18 +0000

> Oh wow! I know what the point of HTTP/2 is. But a 100 simultaneous files
> seems like a little like overkill to me. What do you think?

It's not an overkill since your assumption is wrong. It doesn't mean '100 files
simultaneously', it means 'send 100 requests and then wait for the responses'.
While technically the responses could come in multiplexed, you will rarely see
that (that would require massive parallelism on the server side *and* would
possibly break cookie handling). The responses come one after the other but
without a pause (latency) between them. That is the good thing with HTTP/2, the
latency reduction. So the higher you set the request window, the faster you are
finished. Of course there might be some limits on the server side - the server
has to queue all the requests.

> If they set, --max-parallel-downloads then it automatically sets...

How then ? A value of 25 means what ... HTTP/2 window 1 and # of threads 25 ?
That is definitely not what anybody wants. So we need two values here (window
size and number of threads).

> guy_gold (on the ML) is still interested in working on the benchmarks scripts.

Well but extremely slow, isn't even be able to figure out some basic bash
scripting issue... At some point something should be finished.

https://gitlab.com/gnuwget/wget2/issues/397#note_103441860