wget-dev

[Wget-dev] wget2 | Documenting 'static inline' functions from wget.h (#3

From: Tim Rühsen
Subject: [Wget-dev] wget2 | Documenting 'static inline' functions from wget.h (#396)
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2018 13:54:37 +0000

New Issue was created.

Issue 396: https://gitlab.com/gnuwget/wget2/issues/396
Author:    Tim Rühsen
Assignee:

In wget.h, we have - as an alternative to #defines:
```
static inline size_t wget_base64_get_decoded_length(size_t len)
static inline size_t wget_base64_get_encoded_length(size_t len)
```

I see two major cons:
1. Doxygen doesn't support documenting static functions, except via
`EXTRACT_STATIC = YES`, which documents *all* static stuff from *all* our
library source codes.
2. Compilers/options that doesn't really inline those functions (but just
accept the `inline` keyword) would add those functions to every object file
who's source code includes wget.h.

I don't see any obvious pro argument (static inline versus #define). @darnir,
please comment since I remember you had some pro arguments. The first point is
pretty heavy-weight, I think.

https://gitlab.com/gnuwget/wget2/issues/396