wget-dev

Re: [Wget-dev] wget2 | Progress reports >100% file size during recursive

From: Darshit Shah
Subject: Re: [Wget-dev] wget2 | Progress reports >100% file size during recursive downloads with HTTP/2 (#339)
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2018 11:54:04 +0000

I partially agree with you @jmoellers. I still believe that the default
window-size of 30 is too large. Having so many simultaneous files being
downloaded is usually not a great idea. However, you do correctly point out,
that neither of the two approaches I outlined can scale well.

The alternative solution about the an aggregate value seems like a decent
approach. Though, this means that we can't possibly print the filenames in the
progress bar. And I would really like to keep the filenames in the progress
bar. Here is an approach O just thought of, it's not perfect and I would like
some thoughts on it:

```
[nn] Filename 100%
[=======================================================================================================================>]
  219.77K    --.-KB/s
```

This is a slightly modified version of the current progress bar. The first
section states the number of files that are simultaneously being downloaded and
represented in that particular slot.

The `Filename` is the actual filename when `nn == 1`, else it says "Multiple
Files".

The speed calculation will also need to be adapted so that it smoothly
transitions when files are added / removed.

What are your opinions on this?

P.S.: @jmoellers: If you're not comfortable with git, you can open an MR with
your current branch and one of us can try to help you with the rebasing. Just
remember to allow others to edit your branch (It's an option in Gitlab when
creating a MR)

https://gitlab.com/gnuwget/wget2/issues/339#note_94894666