wget-dev

Re: [Wget-dev] wget2 | GSoC'18: Support DNS over HTTPS - Discussions (#3

From: Aniketh Girish
Subject: Re: [Wget-dev] wget2 | GSoC'18: Support DNS over HTTPS - Discussions (#378)
Date: Fri, 04 May 2018 14:15:30 +0000

Well, Firstly, I felt that would be much more comfortable for me since there
are a lot of documentation and examples available :)

Anyways, according to the resolver functions available readily with glibc, it
seems like it is the easiest way to construct the packet and I don't even have
to take care of the DNS header or the answer formats. The library does it for
me already. Something that I found:
https://www.cs.ait.ac.th/~on/O/oreilly/tcpip/dnsbind/ch14_02.htm . Please do
forward me some documentation/example usages that I could read and understand
according to what we actually want.

I believe there are functions in these packages that would let me implement the
other protocols as wel, so that there won't be any discrepancies with each of
the implementations.

Secondly, I mentioned in the proposal that I would be construction the whole
DNS query and all, if that is not needed by wget, then let me know.

> Also, why do you think that the other approaches don't follow the specs as
mentioned in the RFC?

I never said it that way, my only intention to say is that should we construct
the DNS packets our own taking care of every aspect in DNS such as it's header,
answers, various fields like MX, AAAA, A and much more.

---
https://gitlab.com/gnuwget/wget2/issues/378#note_71662090