web-trans-coord-discuss

[Web-trans] address@hidden: Suggestions about GNU translations]

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: [Web-trans] address@hidden: Suggestions about GNU translations]
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 03:11:28 -0400

Could you think about these suggestions?  I looked at them
briefly and they seem ok to me, but it's up to you.

To: "D. E. Evans" <address@hidden>
Cc: Richard Stallman <address@hidden>
Subject: Suggestions about GNU translations
From: b&f team <address@hidden>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 00:10:30 +0200

The following are some suggestions about GNU translations (some of
those discussed in the GNU Italian translator mlist):

1. The translation list should stay only on the original English page
   and all the translation list links on the translated pages should
   point to the translation list on the original English page this
   way:

of this page</p>

   so the page updates should be easier.

2. A link to the English version should be added to all the translated
   pages this way:

of this page</p>

3. The "English" link in the translation lists should be taken away as
   "English" is the original page/text, not a translation.

4. The server should be set up in order to let users read the pages
   immediately in their language (the one set up in the browers) by
   default.

5. The translators (or who did the revision and update of the
   document) should be indicated in the header of all the translated
   pages this way:

      content="Originally Translated by 'Name/s-of-the-translator/s'
      Later changes by 'Name/s-of-the-updater/s' " />

   so far, we have done it this way in the Italian translations. (Can
   we continue to do it?)

6. The above should be added in the README.translations.html and a
   link to this page should be added in all the GNU pages.

- --
bfteam