vllab-discuss

Re: [Vllab-discuss] a couple of questions-- fantastic, clean website--

From: Jean Barata
Subject: Re: [Vllab-discuss] a couple of questions-- fantastic, clean website--
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 11:41:36 +0100

> Hello,
> I'm really interested in this project.  Thanks for putting it up on
> Savannah and making it available.  There are a number of artificial
> life projects on the Internet, but few that are Free Software.  I
> think this could open up the field to general interest.  Thanks
> again.
> 1) is there something I can do to help get the code into CVS?

No thanks, I finally found the solution !
It was just a question of SHH key generation ... (I had never used
SSH before and it's a little uggly, don't you think ?)

> 2) How does the original author feel about artificial life in general?
>    (For example, there are people who feel that alife creatures are
>    actual life unto themselves regardless of their medium and makeup.)

It's hard to answer to such a question.
If they are actual lives, so ... I'm their god !!!
what a responsability ...
:o)

http://www.freesoftware.fsf.org/VLLab/  ??
> I have a project hosted on Savannah as well, and I'd like to post a
> page like yours on their server like the one you have for VLLab.  Any
> hints?  I haven't been able to find anything in the documentation...

On savannah, each project have two CVS repositories (one for the source code
and the other
for the homepage related to the project):
cvs -z3 address@hidden:/cvsroot/project/ co project
cvs -z3 address@hidden:/webcvs/ co non-gnu/project

> As for the VLLab project itself -- quite impressive from the
> screenshots.  You mentioned that the project was originally for a
> Microsoft Windows version?  Will this code also be available, or did
> you concentrate on getting a GNU / Free / Open version made for X
> windows for this release?

The core is written in standard C++, so it would compile on any system.
The gui was originally written for MS Windows (using win32 API), but now
it's been rewritten using GTK-- (a C++ wrapper for GTK+) and the
MS Windows GUI is no more supported.

> I'll be pulling the CVS tree for this project this weekend.  Is there
> anything keeping the original author from making a formal release (for
> those who don't like dealing with code from CVS?)

The source code is not yet available ... sorry.
I'm really working on it, and I hope making it
available very soon ...

> Thanks again for your time and attention.  I look forward to working
> with this project!  Best regards--

You're welcome. Thanks for your support.