vile

Re: New user question

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: New user question
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2019 19:48:14 -0500

On Tue, Nov 19, 2019 at 05:18:18PM -0500, Paul Fox wrote:
> thomas wrote:
>  > Hi,
>  >
>  > I’m a new user of vile and I really like it.  It is fast and the
>  > mix of emacs and vi is good.  I’m coming from emacs keybindings and
>  > I find vile’s default to be really nice.
>  >
>  > I have a question regarding storing sessions and history.  Is there
>  > some way to let vile remeber which files are opened?  Furthermore,
>  > can vile remember the search strings history?
>
> Not between sessions, that I'm aware of.  Search strings are remembered
> within a session, of course.

winvile (Clark Morgan's contribution here) does remember up to the last
20 files and directories, which I've found useful.  But reopening a file
at the last place I was editing never seemed useful enough to want to
implement it (since I'm _done_ at the previous location).

That, and because saving/reloading all of the relevant state would be
a performance hit.

however (as usual) I'll take into account patches, etc.

(at the moment I'm filling in the other 90% on a recent change for byacc)

--
Thomas E. Dickey <address@hidden>
https://invisible-island.net