viewmail-info

Re: On release numbering

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: On release numbering
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2024 01:00:36 -0400

>> gitlab main should have a version number of 8.3.x.
> Awesome.   I'd suggest you/we append the latest git tag/commit number
> into the version string. then it's *really* clear what's happening.

FWIW, NonGNU ELPA needs the `Version:` to have a valid version number in
the file that's stored in Git (which means it can't hold its own commit
ID).  In the long run, I'd expect NonGNU ELPA to be the main way users
install the package, so it's probably a good idea to focus on removing
obstacles to the use of NonGNU ELPA.

        Stefan