viewmail-info

Re: vm, emacs 28.2 (debian), urls in minibuffer

From: John Stoffel
Subject: Re: vm, emacs 28.2 (debian), urls in minibuffer
Date: Sat, 8 Jun 2024 14:22:40 -0400

>> But I wonder if this will break people who use XEmacs in terminal
>> mode only?

> It's possible (tho I suspect, if so, that it would apply only to XEmacs
> *built* without GUI support, rather than merely used in terminal mode).

>> It might also just be crufy from ancient support of various
>> Emacs/XEmacs versions where testing for features was more problematic?

> That's my assumption, yes.  And also the fact that I don't really
> care about XEmacs compatibility.  I didn't throw away
> XEmacs-specific code (which I'd do if I were to maintain the
> package), but I recommend you let XEmacs users send you patches
> if/when things break for them.  There's already plenty of work to do
> getting the code to work well on recent Emacsen that any backward
> compatibility should be a secondary concern.

So I took a stab at this a couple of times, but since I have negative
understanding of elisp and how it all works, I've had to give up.

Especially since I can't figure out why the mini-buffer won't wrap
long lines anymore in 28.x.  So if anyone else can step up, that would
be awesome.  I still love vm for email day to day.  It's quick, simple
and just works.  Ok, it's not quick for imap work at all, but for most
things it's really nice.