viewmail-info

[VM] sending email with ssl to Verizon server

From: Richard J . Frongillo
Subject: [VM] sending email with ssl to Verizon server
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2013 19:22:39 -0400

Thanks for the reply and information.

I am not tied to any particular version.

     - I went to Emacs 24 because I saw documentation that said it had
       some built-in SSL support.

     - I had been using VM 8.1.1 for quite some time and went to 8.1.2
       thinking it would be better to get to the latest for trying
       this effort.

     - I rather not use stunnel if Emacs/VM can do the job, but if
       they can't, they can't.

I have now loaded vm-8.2.0b from the launchpad site to which you
pointed.  I get different errors when attempting to "get mail" in a VM
summary buffer:

     Checking for new mail...
     vm-pop-parse-spec-to-list: Variable binding depth exceeds max-specpdl-size

and other errors when sending:

     Sending...
     gnutls.c: [1] (Emacs) GnuTLS library not found
     Opening TLS connection to `smtp.verizon.net'...
     Opening TLS connection with `gnutls-cli --insecure -p 465
smtp.verizon.net'...failed
     Opening TLS connection with `gnutls-cli --insecure -p 465 smtp.verizon.net
--protocols ssl3'...failed
     Opening TLS connection with `openssl s_client -connect
smtp.verizon.net:465 -no_ssl2 -ign_eof'...done
     Opening TLS connection to `smtp.verizon.net'...done
     smtpmail-send-command: writing to process: invalid argument, smtpmail

I expect the issues are straightforward.  If someone has this working
or can offer pointers, please do.

                         RRRRRRRRiiiiiiiiiiicccccccccccccchhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh