viewmail-info

Re: [VM] vm-visit-imap-folder problem in 8.2.0b

From: John Stoffel
Subject: Re: [VM] vm-visit-imap-folder problem in 8.2.0b
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2013 12:37:45 -0500

Uday> John Stoffel writes:
>> So now when I startup VM and do 'vm-visit-imap-folder' it doesn't ask
>> me for my password, while 'vm-list-imap-folders' does.  So in a new
>> emacs/vm session, I have to first list the folders, then I can visit
>> my imap folder.

Uday> You probably need to hit `g' (vm-get-new-mail) for VM to access the
server.

That works once I'm in the folder and have successfully
authenticated.  But if I start up, and do NOT have my imap folder
accessed at all, then doing M-x vm-visit-imap-folder doesn't ask for my
password at all.  I have to do M-x vm-list-imap-folders, then it asks
me interactively.

Uday> Please check the *Messages* buffer to see if there were any errors.

Will do.  I'll do a fresh start:

- fired up emacs.
- C-x C-m to start vm, goes into my old INBOX which is still my
  default.
- M-x vm-visit-imap-folder
  - it asks "Visit IMAP folder:" in the minibuffer.
    - hitting the tab key builds a completion list, but never shows me
      anything.
    - hmm, typing 'ex<tab>' doesthen complete and now asks for my
      password.  Curious...
    - but I enter my password, and it comes back with:
      "Visit IMAP folder: exmail1:"
    - hitting tab doesn't get me anywhere, nor does typing 'in<tab>'.
      I have to enter the full name of 'inbox' to get my mail.
      Funky.  Nothing in the *Messages* buffer either.

So maybe I'm just smoking something good here, or just missing the
obvious.  It would be nice it autocompletion could hook into the
vm-list-imap-folders when you have logged in.

Ah, now I have an issue to report.  If you do 'M-x
vm-visit-imap-folder' and type just 'exmail1<return>' it will come
back with:

  IMAP folder required in the format account-name:folder-name

but then it just dies, it doesn't let you keep going, you have to do
M-x vm-visit-imap-folder all over again.  This would be something to
improve if possible.  Esp since all you have to do is enter
'exmail1:<tab>' and it asks for a password.  Hitting
'exmail1:<return>' gets the above error message again.  It would
certainly be nicer to be more interactive if possible.

Now, when I do:
  M-x vm-visit-imap-folder
  exmail1:in<tab>

It asks me for my IMAP password, which I enter and hit return.  Then I
get a warning "Symbol's Function definition is void: symbol-prefix-p"
that flashes up for a second and I'm put back into the mini-buffer to
enter the folder name.  If I hit <tab> it says "Making completion
list..." but never seems to connect to the server and get the list of
folders.

Does this help?

Uday> (I recall I had some issues with defining what constitutes an
Uday> "interactive" use.  I have straightened them out now in the
Uday> trunk.)

Make a release, please?

Thanks,
John