viewmail-info

Re: [VM] Mainly: How do you use virtual folders every day? and other que

From: Arik Mitschang
Subject: Re: [VM] Mainly: How do you use virtual folders every day? and other questions
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2013 21:29:50 +1100

 > > What is missing for me is a summary view of all folders.  Something
 > > that could show each folder and the number of unread messages similar
 > > to Outlook's summary (sorry! I shouldn't mention that product).  Seems
 > > like this could be some sort of speedbar integration.
 >
 > VM actually has a "folders-summary" feature.  Unfortunately, it is tied to
 > something called "berkeley-db".  I never had berkeley-db and, so, never used
 > it.  Arik Mitschang has been working on decoupling the folders-summary from
 > berkeley-db.  Some of his work can be found in this branch:
 >
 >   https://code.launchpad.net/~akwm/vm/folders-summary-experimental
 >
 > Arik, are you online?

Yeah, I haven't worked on that in quite a while, but remember it
mostly working. I don't use the feature any more, but used to actually
keep it open in a third buffer (that, summary and preview). This was
handy since our telescope operations sent out regular status emails I
didn't want cluttering my inbox, but wanted to ensure they were coming
in at a normal frequency (different types of status mails went
automatically to different aptly named folders).

I'm not sure why the berkeley-DB was originally chosen, but I just
opted for a simple character separated plain text format. It also has
a info node. Let me know what you think if you try it out. Even though
I don't use it these days, its probably a good feature to have
included in VM (seems a lot of other modern clients have this, and
folks moving from them, or between them, may find it particularly
useful)

Cheers,
-Arik