viewmail-info

Re: [VM] Gnu.emacs.vm.info & (.bugs) dropped from gnu.emacs hierarchy (a

From: Uday Reddy
Subject: Re: [VM] Gnu.emacs.vm.info & (.bugs) dropped from gnu.emacs hierarchy (again)
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2012 06:47:53 +0100

Kurt Hackenberg writes:

> >You can use them, but you are dependent on the mail <-> news gateway at
> >Stanford (the same one that all gnu newsgroups use) functioning properly.
> >Our newsgroup is no more deprecated than any other gnu newsgroup.
>
> So that gateway doesn't work?  Why not?  Did it ever work?

It probably works 80-90% of the time.  But, when it goes down, it goes down
for a long period of time, until somebody notices and complains and somebody
pays attention to it.  Even when it is working, messages seem to take a long
time to go through the gateway.  It is possible that the gateway was written
locally and hasn't been kept up over the years.

The mail <-> gmane gateway, on the other hand, is pretty much perfect.  So,
those of us that don't want to use the mailing-list can simply use gmane,
and the problem is solved.

Cheers,
Uday