viewmail-info

Re: [VM] html mail: both external and w3m?

From: emacs user
Subject: Re: [VM] html mail: both external and w3m?
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2012 22:04:45 -0700 (PDT)

On Saturday, April 28, 2012 4:38:45 PM UTC-4, Uday Reddy wrote:
> emacs user writes:
>
> > Hi Uday, this seems to even happen for a message of the type
> > with no attachments and a length of about 100 characters.  as far as I
> > could see the slow part is in the following lines at the very end of
> > vm-decode-mime-message:
> >
> >   (vm-display nil nil '(vm-decode-mime-message)
> >           '(vm-decode-mime-message reading-message)))
>
> Yes, after this line, u-vm-color runs because it places an advice on
> vm-decode-mime-message.  I have no idea why it is so slow.On Saturday, April
> 28, 2012 4:38:45 PM UTC-4, Uday Reddy wrote:
> emacs user writes:
>
> > Hi Uday, this seems to even happen for a message of the type
> > with no attachments and a length of about 100 characters.  as far as I
> > could see the slow part is in the following lines at the very end of
> > vm-decode-mime-message:
> >
> >   (vm-display nil nil '(vm-decode-mime-message)
> >           '(vm-decode-mime-message reading-message)))
>
> Yes, after this line, u-vm-color runs because it places an advice on
> vm-decode-mime-message.  I have no idea why it is so slow.

brilliant of you...  So if I set "enter debug on c-g" and then do control-g
while it's taking forever, I get this:
  u-vm-color-fontify-regexp(69482 79728781 "^ *[-A-Za-z0-9]*> *.*$" ((0
u-vm-color-citation-1-face)))

my inbox is about 79Mb large; 69482 is the beginning of the text of the first
message in the inbox, right after its header.    In this case I am applyhing
"D" to the very last message.  Does this mean that u-vm-color is trying to
fontify the entire inbox rather than only the message that is being toggled
with "D"?