viewmail-info

Re: [VM] Info node "External Messages"

From: Alan Wehmann
Subject: Re: [VM] Info node "External Messages"
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2012 18:17:11 -0500

On 4/5/2012 5:42 PM, Uday Reddy wrote:
Alan Wehmann writes:

  vm-spool-files '("imap:127.0.0.1:143:inbox:login:*:*")

I used the command "vm" to initiate the downloading of messages from
the IMAP server.

Right, you have used an IMAP spool file to download messages into a local
folder, the vm-primary-inbox.  So, the external message stuff doesn't
apply.

On the other hand, the vm-get-new-mail was invoked automatically.  So, VM
should not have asked you yes/no questions.  I will check why that is
happening.

There were 533 messages in the IMAP inbox.  Roughly 35 of these were
greater than 50000 in size.  For each of these "large" messages I was
asked if I wished to download them.  For each I responded no.  I was
then asked if I wanted to delete them from the "maildrop".  In a
confused state, I answered yes (not a good answer).  As a result they
were completely gone.

Were only the downloaded messages gone, or did the skipped messages go away
too?  That would be quite a serious bug if the skipped messages got deleted.
But nobody reported anything like it all these years!

Cheers,
Uday

The messages that were under 50000 bytes in size were downloaded to my local file "~/INBOX" (and are still present on the IMAP server). For the ones that were greater than 50000 bytes in size, I was asked (1) did I want them downloaded (I answered no), (2) did I want them deleted from the "maildrop" (I answered yes--a bad answer).

In summary, the messages <50K are still on the IMAP server; the ones >50K are not. The messages <50K are also in my file "~/INBOX"; the messages >50K are not.

--
Alan Wehmann
address@hidden