viewmail-info

Re: [VM] VM writes r/o folders

From: Julian Bradfield
Subject: Re: [VM] VM writes r/o folders
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 08:50:57 +0000

On 2012-02-15, Uday Reddy <address@hidden> wrote:
> VM wasn't designed to operate on spool files directly, which is what Julian
> seems to be trying.

I'm specifically NOT trying to "operate on" spool files. I just want
to *read* them. (The MTA makes a backup copy of incoming mail, which I
sometimes need to look at if my overenthusiastic pre-processing has
lost something, or if I accidentally delete a message.)

>> In fact, I think I would prefer that for read-write folders that have
>> old attributes.  That is, update the attributes in memory and don't
> Yes, this behaviour has changed from 8.1.1 to 8.2.0.  The old code was not
> marking the buffer as modified.  I will reset it back to the old way.

Good.

> Personally, I can't see what is wrong with keeping old formats "for all
> eternity", but I haven't thought it through fully.  I just think it is safer
> to upgrade old formats to new ones in general.

When suitable, yes. But one shouldn't tinker with archive copies,
other than on the explicit instructions of the user.