viewmail-info

Re: [VM] searching in mime encoded email

From: Uday Reddy
Subject: Re: [VM] searching in mime encoded email
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2012 17:34:21 -0500

Julian Bradfield writes:

> In other words, you'd transcode everything to utf-8, and then say "we
> know all messages in the folder are in utf-8, so we can load the
> folder in utf-8 and bypass per-message decoding", as I remarked
> several messages ago.

My idea is not to transcode in anything.  Just decode it to Emacs internal
coding and leave it at that.  The folder can be saved to disk using whatever
coding Emacs or the users chooses.  It could be an ISO coding, for instance.
The coding used to save the folder is not VM's concern.

> Why no charset headers? If you're munging a mime message, you should
> ensure that it remains a valid mime message.

Is it not valid mime to have text/plain parts without a charset parameter?

Cheers,
Uday