viewmail-info

[VM] Saving outgoing messages to an IMAP folder

From: Konrad Hinsen
Subject: [VM] Saving outgoing messages to an IMAP folder
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2011 16:23:02 +0100

Hi everyone,

I am trying to get my outgoing messages saved to an IMAP folder, until
now without much success.

My understanding is that there two approaches:

1) Use an FCC: header with a maildrop specification of an IMAP folder.
   I couldn't find a clear definition of what a "maildrop specification"
   is, but from other uses of this term in the VM manual, I conclude that
   it must be the most explicit and complete specification, i.e. something
   like
       imap-ssl:server:port: ...
   If I try that, VM creates a file whose name is the maildrop specification
   inside the cache directory, and appends the outgoing message to that file.
   Nothing is stored on the IMAP server.

2) Use an IMAP-FCC: header with the plain mailbox name
   ("INBOX.Sent Items"" in my case, without the quotes) and put
   vm-imap-save-composition on mail-send-hook.
   If I try that, I get the error message
    vm-imap-protocol-error: IMAP protocol error: "server said NO to APPEND data"

Am I doing something wrong? Can anyone provide a working example setup?

Thanks in advance,
  Konrad.