vfs-status

[Vfs-status] Coding in progress

From: Hans van Buitenen
Subject: [Vfs-status] Coding in progress
Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 22:44:01 +0200

Coding of the project has started.

The current achievements are:
- There is a perl/sql script that creates a database and does some init stuff - There is a simple txt perl-based client that can walk throug the directory tree
  There are not many commands yet but it already has commandline processing
  so adding commands is easy
- There is a start of an import+batch function that can read and import directories
  recursively
- The perl scripts have extended tracing abilities that show you what is going on
- The doc tree in cvs has a console listing (demo)

And last but not least:
The txt interface serves as a prove of concept. The results of this are starting to show. The database behaves as expected. It is possible to walk up and down a folder tree with simple non-relational sql statements, just as I targeted to do. The structure is such that moving a file or directory (tree) involves no more than changing one field in one record !!!

Some examples:

Question: Give me all items that are in folder "xyz"

Answer: Query in table "items" with field "container"=item ID of folder "xyz"

Question: Give me the full path of folder "xyz"

Answer:
1 - Get the item record of "xyz" read the container field. (Cointainer = I'm inside this item)
2 - Get the item record with the item ID you've just found
3 - Read the container field of that record
Keep doing this untill you hit th root dir,
while doing this concat the, path string.

This databse does exactly the opposite of what normal directories do.
- Directories store the items in them
- A vfs item only stores the item that it is in. (It's container)
So if you want to move an entire directory tree, all you do is change it's container field
to the item ID of the folder where you want it to move to.
(Only change the the top level folder of the tree you want to move)
that simple :o)