users-prolog

Prolog: GNU: Command line compiling seems not possible out of the box

From: knud van eeden
Subject: Prolog: GNU: Command line compiling seems not possible out of the box
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2023 01:33:07 +0000 (UTC)

Hello,

a. Operating system: Microsoft Windows 10 Professional:

b. Clean installation.

c. Given and using only this example file, save as 'helloworld.pro'.

:- initialization(main).
main :-
write( 'Hello world' ), nl,
halt.

d. It looks like information is missing when trying to compile this GNU Prolog file to an executable .exe.

e. I tried also with the MINGW versions
Windows intel 64 bits auto-install setup (compiled under x86_64 / Windows 10 with MinGW64 gcc under MSys2).
but they gave tons of 'reference not found errors' , e.g. when including the gcc.exe path.

f. First tried with the latest 64 bits version from http://www.gprolog.org/#download
Windows intel 64 bits auto-install setup (compiled under x86_64 / Windows 10 with MSVC++)
http://www.gprolog.org/setup-gprolog-1.5.0-msvc-x64.exe
But that seems to combine Microsoft Visual Studio and MINGW compilation, because getting errors about e.g. 'as.exe' which
is clearly MINGW related and has nothing to do with Microsoft Visual Studio.
I saw those errors referring to gcc.exe (thus MINGW) when trying to compile

 gplc.exe helloworld.pro

g. Then I did fall back on the 32 bits version (after uninstalling the 64 bits version) http://www.gprolog.org/#download
Windows intel 32 bits auto-install setup (compiled under ix86 / Windows 10 with MSVC++).
http://www.gprolog.org/setup-gprolog-1.5.0-msvc-x86.exe

I got a load of '.lib' files not found (e.g. advapi32.lib, ...) errors, it kept continuing missing different .lib files.
At the end I copied some 500 different x86 .lib files into the bin directory of GNU Prolog 32 bits.

Then finally when compiling

 gplc.exe helloworld.pro

it created successfully a file

 helloworld.exe