traverso-user

[Traverso-user] groups?

From: plutek-infinity
Subject: [Traverso-user] groups?
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 22:44:57 -0500 (EST)

greetings!

years ago, i was following the development of Protux, and always believed it
was a beautiful piece of work -- i am delighted to see many of its design
principles alive and in active development in Traverso!

one general concept which is missing is the idea of operating on groups of
items.

for example, say i have a number of regions placed on various tracks, and i
want to move them all to another spot on the timeline while retaining their
position relative to each other -- this would be very difficult currently,
because each region would have to be moved separately, and we would have to
calculate all the regions' new positions and place them manually. it would be
easy if we could select multiple regions and move them all at once, as a group.

another example of groups would be track groups: one could select some tracks
and make them all part of an active group, and then gain/mute/solo operations
would apply to all tracks in the group.

these sorts of group operations seem to fall outside the "soft selection"
paradigm, since the mouse cursor can only be hovering over ONE item at a time.
do you have any plans to implement groups of items, such as those i describe
above?

two other things that occur to me right now:

1. the ability to make arbitrary busses -- i.e. for subgroups in a mix (there
seems to be no way to do anything other than send each track to a master stereo
bus), or at least the ability to assign tracks directly to abitrary mono output
busses so we could mix in an external application or send to multiple outputs
for surround monitoring.

2. access to precise panning settings -- currently there isn't even a visual
indicator for panning. it would be useful to be able to input a specific value.

i would say these are the only things which are preventing me from using
Traverso more than Ardour!

--
.pltk.