trans-coord-devel

Re: Improving GNUmakefile.team?

From: Ineiev
Subject: Re: Improving GNUmakefile.team?
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2019 12:14:23 +0000

On Tue, Jul 02, 2019 at 01:09:09PM +0200, Thérèse Godefroy wrote:
> [...]
> > On the other hand, translators needn't have anything of this
> > on their machines, those jobs may run on team's server, so
> > people just pull the files from the VCS (or download from cgit)
> > after processing.
>
> So you mean that GNUmakefile.team is useless? Suppose a coordinator
> wanted to synchronize the team's Git repo. Can this be done on the
> server, without using Gettext at all on his machine?

Yes, this can be done on the server, without using Gettext
on co-ordinator's machine,

https://www.gnu.org/software/trans-coord/manual/gnun/html_node/Team_0027s-Repository.html#FOOT8

I believe the potential GNUmakefile.team user base is too small
to justify the packaging efforts.  I can think of no more than
4 GNU teams who might take advantage of such packaging, and it
would be definitely easier for me to add cron jobs for them
in address@hidden than to produce a gnun-team.deb.

> When I wanted to use msgcat and msgfmt 0.18.1, I found the binaries in
> an old Debian package and copied them by hand to /usr/local/bin. Then I
> tried to validate a few POs, and added the libraries that msgcat asked
> for. And when I moved to another Debian-derived system, I copied the
> whole thing again. No fuss.

Why did you want to use old Gettext in the first place?