trans-coord-devel

Make GNUN more user-friendly

From: Thérèse Godefroy
Subject: Make GNUN more user-friendly
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2013 13:07:33 +0200

Hello everyone,

GNUN is a wonderful tool for maintaining translations on the site, but
when it comes to using it locally -- to generate and validate HTML, for
instance -- it becomes a real burden. To me, it is like using a sledge
hammer to swat a fly.

One of the problems is the huge number of useless files in the local www
directory -- useless for a translator, that is. Selective checkout may
be part of the answer (see the thread on trans-coord-discuss: "Download
from the www repository with rsync instead of cvs?").

Another problem is the awfully complicated page generation system. When
a translated page is regenerated locally, the POT is often regenerated
as well, and this interferes with update later on. My workaround was to
modify POs in www-fr, copy them to www to generate and validate the
translated page (saved to www-fr), then restore www to its original
state. But again, this is the sledge-hammer method.

It worked for quite some time, but I really got fed up when one of the
includes had a validation error. Then I tried to bypass includes,
translists, and the like. The resulting script is attached. It will
generate and validate HTML from a list of updated POs (or a single PO)
with no hassle. It relies on one GNUN script (+ dependencies):
gnun-validate-html. The list can be made from cvs diff, git diff or make
sync + make report, and edited as needed. It works with the French setup
-- Git repo with several branches -- but there is no reason why it
couldn't be adapted to the workflow of some other teams.

Denis has made some improvements and given me good advice, but yours
would be quite welcome, too; I am just a newbie at that sort of
things.  ;)

Thérèse