trans-coord-devel

Re: GNUN setup issue

From: Yavor Doganov
Subject: Re: GNUN setup issue
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2009 14:48:22 +0200

At Sun, 13 Dec 2009 15:27:11 +0300,
Ineiev wrote:
> For the last week, I've been trying to figure out
> how to help GNU Russian Translation project.

Thanks for volunteering.

> First thing I thought I needed to learn is how to check the PO
> files, and I thought that it would require to regenerate HTML pages
> from them.

No, that's not required at all.

> Then I copy config.mk and GNUmakefile from gnun-0.4 to
> server/gnun, add or edit some PO files and make -C server/gnun.

That's correct if you want to build .html translations, yes.

> Now, when I look into them, I see that some passages are not
> replaced with their translations, the first instance was the passage
> with the FSF addresses (Please send FSF & GNU inquiries...),

Probably because the message is "fuzzy" in the translation?

> and they were not replaced in other translations, not only in
> Russian; I concluded that there was something wrong with my GNUN
> installation, and I decided that this was not very critical for that
> time.

This only confirms my suspicion -- we started changing
<em>address@hidden</em> to &lt;address@hidden&gt; (and other minor things
like that), so when you build the .html, GNUN first updates the .pot,
and then `msgmerge's the .po.  All translations are likely to have
this string in English, because the message will be marked as "fuzzy".

> But then I've written a new translation where some other pieces were
> not substituted, too.

Hmm.  That's not supposed to happen.  Can you check again your .po
file -- does it contain "fuzzy" messages?

> I'm sorry that I don't provide any more detailed data;

Which is you po4a version you're using?  That's the only thing I can
think of right now that might be messing up the result.