trans-coord-devel

Re: Useless references to the source in POT/PO.

From: Yavor Doganov
Subject: Re: Useless references to the source in POT/PO.
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2008 00:36:01 +0200

On Sat, Mar 15, 2008 at 12:23:17AM +0200, Kaloian Doganov wrote:
> #: ../../philosophy/po/java-trap.proto:22
>
> They do not make much sense for a translator, and they cannot be
> followed by po-mode, so are broken.

They do perfect sense and are absolutely necessary for programs, because
by following the reference the translator can figure out the right
substitution strings (%s) or can explain herself a cryptic message.

In our case, it makes no sense to do this, since the translator has the
important information (whether it's a heading, a paragraph, unordered
list, etc).

> They do not become less broken

What is broken is that they will disturb the readers of www-commits and
also the teams' lists (for those who use GNUmakefile.team) for no good
reason.  They're just entirely redundant.

> I would like to see them fixed like this:
>
> #: philosophy/java-trap.html:21

What for?  Why would anyone like to look at the HTML source?  I stopped
doing it one month ago.  Also, this won't work for www-bg, because there
won't be HTML files there.

All you need is PO; PO is all you need :-)

Anyway, let's do nothing and leave the item as it is (since it is a bug
in my book); we'll poll the translators when they gain some experience
with the new system.