trans-coord-devel

Re: whatsnew woes

From: Yavor Doganov
Subject: Re: whatsnew woes
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 21:30:25 +0200

On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 09:19:32PM +0200, Kaloian Doganov wrote:
> 1. Drop `whatsnew.LANG.xslt' and `whatsnew.LANG.txt'.

Good.

> 2. Add targets to GNUN's GNUmakefile to treat `whatsnew.include' and
>    `whatsnew.rss' as translatable special case "articles" (in XHTML and
>    XML format respectively), like it treats `home.shtml'.  Since both
>    files will contain similar stings, those strings are to be extracted
>    into one common POT-file, say `whatsnew.pot'.

Good, but at first thought this doesn't seem entirely trivial.  But
certainly doable.

> 3. Produce `whatsnew.LANG.po' from `whatsnew.pot'.

OK, so whatsnew.pot will be constructed in a different way (since
currently whatsnew.pot generated from whatsnew.html is nearly useless).

> 4. Let translators translate `whantsnew.LANG.po'.

OK.

> 5. Produce `whatsnew.LANG.xslt' and `whatsnew.LANG.rss' when the
>    translation is updated.

Why XSLT comes into the picture?  The goal is to produce
gnusflashes.LANG.include, whatsnew.LANG.html and (optionally)
whatsnew.LANG.rss.  Po4a will generate this localized resources from
whatsnew.LANG.po (but I fear it won't work for all of them).

> The only drawback that I see is that news items will appear untranslated
> first, and will stay untranslated until translators catch up and GNUN
> cronjob is run.

That's not a drawback, it's a big advantage.  If we go my way (which
sucks in so many ways), we lose this advantage.