trans-coord-devel

Re: Error handling

From: Yavor Doganov
Subject: Re: Error handling
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 00:20:27 +0200

Калоян Доганов wrote:

> You are right, but this can be easily fixed by changing one line in
> `validate-html-notify':
>
> -SUBJ="[GNUN Error] $FILE is not valid XHTML"
> +SUBJ="[GNUN Error] ${FILE#../../} is not valid XHTML"

OK.  This would make /home.shtml look weird, but that's not a big
problem.

> 1) I couldn't find a straightforward way to use `mailfail' in
>    `validate-html'.
>
> 2) It wouldn't be so straightforward to call `validate-html' with
>    `--notify EMAIL' option from the GNUmakefile.

> That's the main reasons I've proposed the patch in it's current form.

Understood.  This was not an objection on my part.  Apparently you
have thought about this, and we may use mailfail for other things.

> I am puzzled by your comments.  The prerequisite (.LANG.po) is touched
> exactly for this reason.  What I am missing?

Sorry, I just have difficulty reading patches with long lines (BTW,
please don't introduce them in new code, we will have to reformat them
anyway).  Now I see that you touch the prerequisites, but you must do

 || (sleep ...; touch ...; exit 1)

otherwise make will continue without any problem.

Here are some other nits:

> +     $(VALIDATESKIP) $(VALIDATE-HTML-NOTIFY) $(NOTIFYSKIP) $(web_attr) $<

Typo in $(web_addr).

> +if [[ $# -lt 1 ]]; then usage; fi;

Please use the standard format for the If statement, basically how C-c
TAB formats it in Shell-script mode.  It is easier to read that way
and it's established usage.

Why the double brackets are necessary?

I assume you have tested well all of this, so please commit with the
discussed changes.