trans-coord-devel

Re: trans-coord/gnun/prep/gnun README ChangeLog

From: Kaloian Doganov
Subject: Re: trans-coord/gnun/prep/gnun README ChangeLog
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 12:34:59 +0200

Yavor Doganov <address@hidden> writes:

    This is way too Debian-specific

Thank you for pointing this out.  I tought that mktemp is a
Debian-specific, but it turns out that this is not the case.

    (along with some other things in this file).

Which ones?  What we must do to make them more GNU-generic than
Debian-specific?

    mktemp (http://mktemp.org) is a separate package in Debian for
    nearly 2 years, and

Ah, I see.  I was decieved by the fact that on my system `dpkg -S
/bin/mktemp' returns `debiantuils'.

    I suspect that mktemp from coreutils is what most people that are
    not using Debian(-derived) distros actually have.

I doubt that, since mktemp command is introduced in coreutils 6.9.90
(2007-12-01) [beta].  So this version of coreutils is not yet shipped
with most distros.  I do not have access to much systems, but in CentOS
4.x, mktemp package is used by default:

    $ rpm -q --whatprovides /bin/mktemp
    mktemp-1.5-20

Also, I've found that mktemp command was introduced in debianutils with
version 1.7 (15 Feb 1998), and dropped in version 2.16 (29 Apr 2006).

So, may be, we could define the dependency as:

    coreutils >= 6.9.90 | mktemp | debianutils >= 1.7 < 2.16

Is this correct?