trans-coord-devel

Re: Design goals

From: Yavor Doganov
Subject: Re: Design goals
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2008 22:31:00 +0200

Калоян Доганов wrote:

>  I've completely lost those things from my view.

This is not surprising, and it happens to me all the time.  For
example, I wrote this "piece of code":

$(foreach po_base,$(ALL_POS_BASE),$(eval \
  $(call article_rules,$(po_base),$(subst .,,$(suffix $(po_base))))))

Despite the fact that I wrote this ugly snippet, I still spend some
seconds while groking this expression, and it took me some hours to
make it work as expected.  I remember I did some horrible tests when
schools.bg.html was generated with the generic.fr.html inside it.  I
lost several nights playing with this (e.g. a change in
generic.uz.html should rebuild ALL Uzbek translations, including the
homepage), but it's still untested, more or less.

Remember that article_rules is an explicit rule.  I spent many hours
thinking what is the best way to DTRT both from purely developers'
point of view and users' (i.e. translators') point of view.  The
necessity to redefine a variable in order to enable the translation of
/philosophy/bsd.ca.html is absolutely tedious and should be avoided at
all costs.  Hence the absolutely ugly solution that is a problem to be
understood even for the person who wrote it.