trans-coord-devel

Re: The `sync' rule is not robust; expected to fail tonight

From: Kaloian Doganov
Subject: Re: The `sync' rule is not robust; expected to fail tonight
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2008 17:34:17 +0200

Yavor Doganov <address@hidden> writes:

    Currently I'm redirecting all the output of the sync job to a file.
    It is tedious to receive these messages (from the sync job) every
    day.

    And the long-term goal is send the output when there is an error.

This is true, but so far we have not decided how to implement this,
neither we have decided what we want and what we don't want to be
mailed.  Having more means to mail messages by this cron script will add
entropy.  I suggest to keep things to one session transcript, for now.

    I prefer an explicit mail for this, personally.

Why?  There is nothing wrong if we do not react ASAP on such warning.

    Why bother?  If someone runs this without reading the recipe she
    will mess with the repository, which is far worse.  `sync' is a
    special target, so one must read what it is and what it does anyway.

This could happen by accident.  One might not have commit access to
trans-coord repository, even might have not checked out the wwww
repository, but still run the script and have all those messages mailed.