trans-coord-devel

Re: The `sync' rule is not robust; expected to fail tonight

From: Yavor Doganov
Subject: Re: The `sync' rule is not robust; expected to fail tonight
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2008 16:29:52 +0200

On Mon, Feb 04, 2008 at 04:21:53PM +0200, Kaloian Doganov wrote:
> I think the warning must go to stdout with the rest of the messages

Currently I'm redirecting all the output of the sync job to a file.  It
is tedious to receive these messages (from the sync job) every day.  And
the long-term goal is send the output when there is an error.

> not mailed explicitly

I prefer an explicit mail for this, personally.

> Explicit mailing of individual messages is risky.  Someone might run
> `make sync' on her local machine by accident and flood the mailing list
> with a lot of messages.

Why bother?  If someone runs this without reading the recipe she will
mess with the repository, which is far worse.  `sync' is a special
target, so one must read what it is and what it does anyway.

>    echo "warning: $$file is missing in www; update the variable?"

OK.

> I suggest "update the variable" to end with question mark as a
> suggestion, not as an imperative instruction.

OK.