trans-coord-devel

Re: cvs -n

From: Yavor Doganov
Subject: Re: cvs -n
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2008 10:15:08 +0200

В пт, 2008-02-01 в 09:59 +0200, Kaloian Doganov написа:
> the cvs program connected to the repository and then actually
> scheduled the file for addition on my working copy:

No, this is just a wrong impression that you rightfully have from the
message cvs prints.  If you do `cvs ci' you'll see that they're not
added.

> Exactly the same way the documentation for `add' covers
> only addition of files, but does not mention what we should expect for
> directories, since directories are added immediately without `commit'.

The CVS manual is not the best example of a manual, I agree -- but many
things become clear only *after* you read it in its entirety.  The
behaviour for adding directories is well known, and I'm pretty sure I've
read it explicitly somewhere.  Could be src/add.c in the source,
though :-)

> Aside from that, my conclusion is that `cvs -n' is not a viable way to
> block out cvs commands.

We block only `cvs add' and it's working reliably.  One unfortunate
effect is that the build will fail in a working directory of anonymous
checkout.  There is an easy workaround -- you only must have a Savannah
account which all translators already do.