trans-coord-devel

Re: Variables for tools

From: Kaloian Doganov
Subject: Re: Variables for tools
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 13:10:21 +0200

Yavor Doganov <address@hidden> writes:

    Also SED, I'd say.

The case with sed is not so trivial.  There are different sed
implementations with incompatible features and extensions.  On some
systems one would like to use GNU sed instead of the default sed
implementation.  (I guess the same goes for M4.)

Let's remove variables only for trivial file utilities.  Although we
both do not plan to run GNUN elsewhere on a non-GNU systems, those
variables still might be found useful to someone.

    I'll do it tonight, if you don't object.

Yep, please do.

    For now, the task is to get the thing running reliably at
    fencepost.gnu.org and our own machines -- which are definitely not
    Solaris, AIX or some castrated BSD-ish variants.)

I agree that we should not think about autotools at this stage, but also
we should not try to bind GNUN to fencepost and our current systems more
tightly than needed.