trans-coord-devel

Re: <!-- Automatically generated... --> warning at the begining of each

From: Kaloian Doganov
Subject: Re: <!-- Automatically generated... --> warning at the begining of each .xx.html file
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2007 10:30:03 +0200

Yavor Doganov <address@hidden> writes:

    The message will be short, I guess -- I thought it was better to be
    in the makefile because it is easier to change it there rather than
    the script where if one does not know Scheme can get it wrong
    easily.

    If this assumption is false, go on and do it in the script.

The advantage of being in the makefile is that the makefile will contain
it only once.  Because we have two scripts, hardcoding it in the scripts
would duplicate the value (as this already happened for strings like
"gnu.org-i18n", "GNU-i18n-SLOT: TRANSLATOR'S CREDITS", etc.).
Duplicated values, scattered in different files are harder to manage.
One could easily change one instance of the value forgetting to do
likewise for the other.  While this is not a serious problem for
internal values like "gnu.org-i18n", I guess that the new message will
be subject to change in time.

Different approach to the same problem would be:

   1. Create a common configuration file for both scripts.

   2. Unite the two scripts.  That way, the invocation of:

          make-prototype.scm
          make-prototype-home.scm

      would be replaced by:

          make-prototype.scm --article (default)
          make-prototype.scm --home

I prefer the second option.

Also, since more and more command line arguments are introduced, I would
like to use a common command line parser (getopt) in the script(s), but
that's another story.