trans-coord-devel

Re: building vanilla gnu.org-i18n

From: Kaloian Doganov
Subject: Re: building vanilla gnu.org-i18n
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2007 23:11:33 +0200

Yavor Doganov <address@hidden> writes:

    Perhaps we see the things differently.  For me, the cron job is just
    a way to automate the "build run" and do it periodically.  There
    should be no difference compared to simple manual cvs update && make
    && cvs commit.

My initial point of view differed only slightly from this concept.  The
chain was cvs update && make && make add && cvs commit. :-)

    So I don't see how we can complicate the build process if we run the
    linking commands only conditionally.  Make still has all the
    necessary information and acts when we say so, and acts with no or
    little chance for a serious mistake.

I completely agree with the case presented in the example.  (Although,
strictly speaking, linking would be implemented by additional target(s),
not by conditional variable.)

Sadly, not everything said about linking object files makes sence about
determining which files are already under version control.

By issuing `make' twice we do not lose information about object files.
But we can effectively lose information about which files are already
under version control (if we do not use `cvs status' on given file and
just assume that if file is in the working copy in the beginning of the
current make run, then it should be under version control).

    wait to see the exact implementation.

I am keen to see it.

    Too much theory can be confusing :-)

Agreed. :-)