tramp-devel

Re: Slow initial connection to remote

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Slow initial connection to remote
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2023 12:07:17 +0200

adam bobrow <bobrow.adam@gmail.com> writes:

> Hey Michael,

Hi Adam,

> Can't thank you enough, I didn't expect that level of support! I hope
> you didn't spend too much time going over that huge log :)

No problem. These days I'm working on Tramp optimizations, so your
request was a nice opportunity to check the state-of-the-art.

The upcoming Tramp 2.7 will contain some of the optimizations. It is
integrated in Emacs 30, likely it will be availble via GNU ELPA as well.

> As you said, when running emacs normally (no -q) everything feels much
> faster. I also set tramp-verbose to 1 and that also might have helped
> I suppose.

See also the Tramp manual at (info "(tramp) Frequently Asked Questions")
There is an entry "How to speed up TRAMP",. which could give you further ideas.

> Thanks again for the help, very much appreciated,
>
> Adam

Best regards, Michael.