tramp-devel

Re: Asynchronous login?

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Asynchronous login?
Date: Fri, 08 May 2020 10:00:13 +0200

Garjola Dindi <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi,

Hi Garjola,

> I use the following pattern to open a shell on a remote host :
>
> (let ((default-directory (concat "/ssh:" user "@" host ":" dir)))
>     (shell name))
>
> The issue I am facing is that emacs freezes during the login dialog
> ("Waiting for prompts from remote shell", etc).
>
> Is there a way to let this transaction run asynchronously?

Currently, it is not foreseen to run this asynchronously (aka as an own
thread). If we would do it, there might be problems in interactive
dialogues, like password prompts.

Some months ago, I've worked on thread support for Tramp. This work is
stalled ATM. And it was related rather to file visiting operations, but
asynchronous processes.

> Thanks for your help!
>
> Garjola.

Best regards, Michael.