torsion-dev

Re: [Torsion-dev] Makefile questions

From: Dan Helfman
Subject: Re: [Torsion-dev] Makefile questions
Date: Sat, 01 Jan 2005 12:00:53 -0800

Geoffrey Plitt wrote:
Got some questions about the makefile...

1) I noticed the $NEKKID configuration includes "-shared". Shouldn't
that be "static"?

I believe that the gcc -shared flag is needed when compiling the individual .o files so that they'll be linkable with one another to form the final kernel binary.

2) I am experimenting with using dietlibc with torsion; dietlibc
doesn't interact with "ld" very well,
  so I've changed the makefile so that linking is done with g++, with
options passed in via "-Wl...".
  Will this be ok, or is there a reason we are using ld? I will make
sure it compiles the same and runs, of course.

I don't foresee any problems with this. Using g++ -Wl instead of ld might pick up the $CXXFLAGS environment variable, but that hopefully shouldn't affect any of the linking.

Geoff

Dan
http://torsion.org/