top10-devel

Re: [Top10-devel] kart simulator

From: Johann Deneux
Subject: Re: [Top10-devel] kart simulator
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2004 21:55:48 +0000

Hi everyone (anyone still there listening?)

There's been some progress since this mail, sent a long time ago.
Some of the changes include:
- Tracks are now modeled using an external modeler, such as 3d studio.
- As a result, old tracks have been removed. Currently, there is only one track, but it's good! The track models a real track, located at Mariembourg. This track was entirely made by Bruno. Thanks to him!
- The kart itself looks much better, thanks to a contribution by Bruno
- Additional information is added using a home-made track editor, called tracked. Currently, tracked uses QT, and therefore works only on linux. If anyone has a license for QT win32, please feel free to help and build binaries of the editor for windows.
- Collisions with scenery objects (podiums, poles, wales...) are handled.

There is a binary version for windows available there:
http://user.it.uu.se/~johannd/top10-release.zip

I'll make a linux version if there is popular demand for, I'm assuming that linux users will know how to compile it (download, configure, make...)

Johann Deneux wrote:
Bruno_Roche wrote:
My project, at this time, is to reproduct existings karting tracks, as realistic I can. Are you interested? please answer me on address@hidden <mailto:address@hidden>

Oh yes, that seems very interesting. As it is now, top10 can only read lightwave models, but I can certainly find some code to load 3ds models. The go-kart picture you attached looks great, much better than my own model :)

Modelling tracks cannot really be done in 3ds, I'm afraid. I started a track editor, but it's far from being usable (it can only show tracks for now, not edit them).

However, there is still need for lots of decorating objects:
people, fences, borders, trees, shields, hills...

I also lack a model for the driver himself.

The track is described in terms of sections, not in terms of polygons. Right now, top10 reads this description, generates polygons and shows them using OpenGL. That means there is no tree, no object, no landscape shown. Just a grey track. I need to find a way to describe track + landscape.

I would love to cooperate with someone to make top10 more realistic and more attractive!

--
Johann