top10-devel

[Top10-devel] Software rendering ...

From: Lars Segerlund
Subject: [Top10-devel] Software rendering ...
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2001 16:23:48 +0100

I'm giving my renderer a massage :-) .. to se if it will be possible to still get resonable performance with top10 running ..

What I have done so far is a quick fix to render from position x,y .... and not to use any height .. this enables me to use a cheat to render the ground .. I only render a 'truncated pie' segment :

+--------------+
 \            /
  \          /          Seen from above ...
    \      /
     +----+

       +     <- point of eye ....

The trick is to use the highest point of the line closest to one self as reference of the height to render .. ( in other words, my own viewpoint ..

Of the plane that is the ground .. this does not make it a 'flat' ground, but the first code to test with top10 will probably be 'flat'.

It should giva some indication if this is a workable solution as the graphics transformations are basicly nonexistent :-) , so it could give GOOD speed for small systems.

I think it would be nicer to get something running than to spend to much time trying to get the bells and whistles in there.

So if I get it running a simple proof of concept should ge usable in a week or two ...

 / Segerlund.