tlf-devel

padding in cwdaemon packets

From: Drew Arnett
Subject: padding in cwdaemon packets
Date: Sat, 7 Dec 2019 16:35:28 +0000

Doing some debugging and cleanup of my pywinkerdaemon implementation
of cwdaemon.  (I introduced some bugs with recent feature
introduction.)

A few years ago, I looked at the UDP packets several different
cwdaemon clients sent.  Some, like TLF, send a single trailing null
character which is not needed.  Some sent quite a lot.  (Allocated a
max UDP data structure, wrote nulls, then wrote the message to the
beginning.  Still, should have not bothered transmitting all that
padding.)

Looking at tlf as included in debian 10.2 today, I see it also has a
\n (0x0a) character between the end of the CW message and the single
null character.

I recommend that tlf doesn't transmit either the 0x0a or the 0x00
trailing characters.  Unless this would break other independent
cwdaemon implementations.  Anybody know?

Best regards,

Drew
n7da