tlf-devel

Re: [Tlf-devel] Bandmap.

From: Ervin Hegedüs
Subject: Re: [Tlf-devel] Bandmap.
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2015 20:05:43 +0200

Hi Pierre,

On Tue, Aug 11, 2015 at 10:06:10AM -0400, Pierre Fogal wrote:
> If you are looking to gauge interest, then a band-map that displays worked
> calls around your frequency as does N1MM logger would be a great feature, a
> boon to S&P operation.

sometimes I use N1MM (only from my club). Basicly, I don't like
this feature in both direction. If we will touch this part of
code of Tlf, may be it could be good to disjoin the directions:
- op could configure, if he types a callsign (and do something
  which triggers the add function, eg. tune the VFO up/down
  minimum 1kHz), then callsign will be added
- op could configure, if Tlf uses rigctl, and it gets the freq
  which exists in bandmap, then the callsign (which is on that
  freq) will be added back to callsign field

More features, if we will touch the code:
- bandmap columns scrolling: now there are 3 columns for bandmap,
  but on most contest, these are very few for the number of
  competitors. It could be good, than Tlf follows the freq of
  TRX, and detects that the freq leaves the freq of last station
  in first column, then shifts columns to left
- mark the nearest stations on bandmap with different background
  (or something else), or if there isn't any station between N
  kHz, then mark the previous and next nearest (with other sign)

Other ideas are welcome.

> I was thinking of trying to write something like
> that as an add-on Python program.

How do you think about it? What do you think about the "add-on"
program?

(Otherwise, I'm a big Python fan :))

> I saw a stat that suggested that less than 20% of operators in a contest
> ever call CQ.  I call, but not as much as I do S&P given the "little
> pistol" nature of my station(s).   So, I would guess that any assistance on
> the S&P side would help many users. :-)

yes, bandmap is a big help. I've used that on WAE, and Tlf showed
the number of QTC's, what a station gave me - that was a _very_
big help. Idea came from DJ1YFK (thanks Fabian :)).

73, Ervin

--
I � UTF-8