tlf-devel

[Tlf-devel] Vinux and TLF - ham radio programs

From: David Ring
Subject: [Tlf-devel] Vinux and TLF - ham radio programs
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 19:09:41 -0400

Hello Georgina and others.

Rein, PA0R did a great job of making TLF for the Linux console - TLF stands for The Left Foot.

TLF has a quick command when loading that you might not see.  It tries to log on to a DX cluster - the log in is your amateur radio call sign.  TLF flashes the comment - to exit and return to TLF press : (colon).

To exit TLF, just use control-c - there might be another command, but I use this.

On line documentation is here:
http://home.iae.nl/users/reinc/tlf/tlfdoc-0.9.9/tlfdoc.html

I found a better mirror
http://sharon.esrac.ele.tue.nl/pub/linux/ham/tlf/

I couldn't get the latest file to compile, but I installed the binary then I compiled the latest version - this time it worked.

But now the tlf -v command shows me I have a later version than the one I compiled - so I don't know.

Right now, I don't have speech enabled so I don't know how accessible it is.  Parts of it will be at least.

Another interesting program is ebook2cw

Source is here:  http://fkurz.net/ham/ebook2cw/ebook2cw-0.7.0.tar.gz
I couldn't get it to compile - but they have a bin file also!

Linux executable is here:  http://fkurz.net/ham/ebook2cw/ebook2cw

The documentation is on the web but here is the sample:

ebook2cw -w 40 -c chapter -o book- book.txt

That starts ebook2cw reading the ebook file book.txt and tells it to

output a mp3 file at 40 wpm (-w 40), separates it by chapter and puts in the word "Chapter N" where N is the chapter number,
and the output file is book-

You put a hyphen after the file name so that you can get chapter files of mp3 files.

I'll post further posts on this off list - but this is such a wonderful program, I want to let people know about it - it is rather difficult to find.

Other ham radio console programs are:

aldo - command line morse tutor - supports koch and standard teaching methods

The Debian repos contain cwirc which downloads and configures Xchat and cwirc so you can use the irc.freenode.org #cw room and hear morse and send it.

You can find more by using

apropos morse

CW (7)               - the international Morse code
aldo (1)             - A fully console morse code trainer written in ISO C++.
bcd (6)              - "reformat input as punch cards, paper tape or morse code"
cw (1)               - sound characters as Morse code on the soundcard or con...
cw (7)               - the international Morse code
cwcp (1)             - curses-based Morse tutor program
cwdaemon (8)         - morse daemon for the serial or parallel port
cwgen (1)            - generate groups of random characters for Morse code pr...
morse (1)            - Morse-code trainer and QSO generator for aspiring radi...
morse (6)            - "reformat input as punch cards, paper tape or morse code"
morseX11 (1)         - Morse-code trainer and QSO generator for aspiring radi...
ppt (6)              - "reformat input as punch cards, paper tape or morse code"
QSO (1)              - Morse-code trainer and QSO generator for aspiring radi...

Have fun.

DR