tlf-devel

[Tlf-devel] RE: Compiling hamlib for TLF - additional question and info

From: Andy Summers
Subject: [Tlf-devel] RE: Compiling hamlib for TLF - additional question and info
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2009 21:20:27 +0100

Hi Steve,

Quiet on here!

I've only just subscribed to this list so I had to copy-n-paste your e-mails from the web archive.

I started using linux for the first time at home in January (although I do use it at work). I'm using Fedora10. I've used tlf/hamlib/cwdaemon using a homebrew opto-isolated USB-serial converter based on the FTDI FT232R, so pretty close to what you want to do! My PC is pretty old and so it struggles a bit under gnome. I can also switch to XFCE, whose concole is a bit better for tlf.

I believe hamlib uses C++. I'm not aware there are any other bindings? Have you actually tried installing hamlib from source? All I did was follow the instructions given on the tlf page: http://home.iae.nl/users/reinc/tlf/tlfdoc-0.9.9/tlfdoc.html

Sometimes the error messages can be a bit cryptic from the configure and make commands. Usually if it fails it's because a package is missing. In this instance 'yum' is your friend.

I also use CQRLog here, which is also able to talk to my Ten Tec Orion via hamlib.

I'm using cwdaemon on the same USB-serial port as used by hamlib to talk to the Orion. Some may gasp at this, but it can be made to work under tlf. I've been unable to do this under CQRLog because I believe CQRLog has a bug in the way it sets serial_handshake. I haven't needed to modify the kernel to run cwdaemon, but then I'm not a high speed CW op!

hamlib can be tested from the command line using 'rigctl' before you try it with anything else.

So, my advice is to try and report back with the error messages if you get stuck.

73 es GL,
Andy, G4KNO.